What is the .news generic Top Level Domain Extension?
We live in a world where information is available from the palm of our hands. From print media to digital newspapers, we're voracious consumers of information and news online. We constantly seek out the latest news, check the latest scores and tweet trending news articles, around the clock.
With that being said, the .news gTLD was created to provide news agencies and mass media entities a new platform onlien to aggregate and disseminate information on the Internet. The .news gTLD provides organizations a new way to create a .news domain name that immediately sends the message across, while enhancing branding efforts on the web. Poised to become the online home for news and information, .news helps create an instant connection with readers online.
.NEWS Travels Fast
The days when news was consumed only in the mornings or on nightly shows are gone. Today, the internet has disrupted how news is consumed by making information accessible through different devices, 24/7. For news and mass media entities, here are a few ways to utilize a .news domain name.
- .news domain names such as Sports.News, Technology.News, or Startup.News helps collate targeted news articles and information on a website that instantly lets people know the contents of a website.
- branded .news domain names (Brand.News) are shorter and easier to remember by readers on the web.
- Social media is one of the best ways to share information and news on the web. News and mass media entities can utilize .news to reinforce and strengthen their brands through a short and branded URL.
.news is a "Regulated Domain" which is subject to additional requirements mandated by ICANN.
- Legal Compliance: Registrants must comply with all applicable laws, including laws relating to privacy, data collection, consumer protection (including in relation to misleading and deceptive conduct) and applicable consumer laws in respect of fair lending, debt collection, organic farming (if applicable), disclosure of data and financial regulations;
- Health and Financial Information: Registrants must acknowledge and agree that those who collect and maintain sensitive health and financial data must implement reasonable and appropriate security measures commensurate with the offering of those services, as defined by applicable law;