What is the .ltd generic Top Level Domain Extension?
For limited companies, the .ltd domain name provides an alternate domain extension. This unique new TLD offers limited companies in any industry instant recognition with a name that reflects the .ltd standing. If you are an attorney who provides LTD registration services to companies, this new domain extension is a great addition to your current domain name portfolio. Register your .ltd domain name, today!
.ltd gTLD Requirements
The new gTLD applications for the applicants, myLTD GmbH, NU DOT CO LLC, Over Corner, LLC, LTD Registry, LLC, C.V. TLDcare, Afilias Limited, and Dot Registry LLC, are still being reviewed but you can expect to see some extensions, like .ltd become available in 2013 when they are released by ICANN.
Highly Regulated Domain
.ltd is a "Highly Regulated Domain" which is subject to additional requirements mandated by ICANN.
- Legal Compliance: Registrants must comply with all applicable laws, including laws relating to privacy, data collection, consumer protection (including in relation to misleading and deceptive conduct) and applicable consumer laws in respect of fair lending, debt collection, organic farming (if applicable), disclosure of data and financial regulations;
- Health and Financial Information: Registrants must acknowledge and agree that those who collect and maintain sensitive health and financial data must implement reasonable and appropriate security measures commensurate with the offering of those services, as defined by applicable law;
- Abuse Contact Information: Registrants must provide administrative contact information, which must be kept up-to-date, for the notification of complaints or reports of registration abuse, as well as the contact details of the relevant regulatory, or industry self-regulatory, bodies in your main place of business;
- Possession of Necessary Credentials: Registrants must represent that he/she possesses any necessary authorizations, charters, licenses and/or other related credentials for participation in the sector associated with such Highly Regulated TLD; and
- Report Material Changes to Credentials: Registrants must report any material changes to the validity of the Registrant’s authorizations, charters licenses and/or other related credentials for participation in the sector associated with the Highly Regulated TLD to ensure the Registrant continues to conform to the appropriate regulations and licensing requirements and generally conduct activities in the interests of the consumer served.