Organization Validated Certificates
In addition to performing the checks featured within Domain Validated Certificates, Organization Validated (OV) Certificates also includes validation of the business being associated with the certificate.
Organization Validation is applicable to the following SSL Certificates:
- GeoTrust True Business ID
- GeoTrust True Business ID Wildcard
- Symantec Secure Site
- Symantec Secure Site Pro
- Symantec Secure Site Wildcard
- Sectigo InstantSSL
- Sectigo Multi-Domain SSL
- Sectigo InstantSSL Premium Wildcard
Four steps are performed for Organization Validated Certificates
- Confirm that the Domain Name is registered, and that the Registrant information matches the Organization name submitted during Configuration
- Confirm the existence and validity of the Organization
- Confirm the Address of the Organization
- Verify the Certificate Admin Contact’s employment within the Organization
Confirmation of Domain Registration and Registrant / Organization name
If the Registrant and Organization information submitted during the Configuration process is not an exact match, the domain administrator will be contacted via phone or email to confirm that the Organization has exclusive control of the domain.
Authentication of the Organization
The Organization’s full legal name as it is registered with a government agency must be verified and in good standing in the location listed in the Configuration data.
No misspellings or abbreviations are permitted
If the Organization cannot be verified using standard means, government-filed business registration documents may need to be produced.
Acceptable documents include:
- Articles of Incorporation
- Business License
- Charter Documents
- Fictitious Name Statement
- Registration of Trade Name
The Organization address must also be confirmed via a verifiable third party resource, which includes but is not limited to:
- 3rd party Telephone number database
- Valid Dun and Bradstreet report
- WHOIS Registrant
- Verbal verification through a verified phone number from one of the resources listed above
- Verbal verification through a phone number listed on the website to which the certificate order is applicable.
Verification of Certificate Contact
The Certificate Admin Contact defined during the Configuration process will have their employment within the Organization verified.
It is recommended that the Certificate Contact’s email address be registered to the Organizational domain, or one of their verified Parent / Subsidiaries. A verification call with the Certificate Contact using a verified telephone number may be required.
|Note: The normal processing time for Organizational Verification is 2 business days if no documents are required.|
To expedite your order please ensure:
- Your Organization is active and in good standing
- The Domain Name is registered to the Organization submitted during the Configuration process
- The Admin Contact is a permanent employee of the Organization
Once approval has been given via email as per Domain Validated Certificates , and the Organization has passed the manual validation outlined on this page, the Certificate Authority will proceed to the next step of issuing the SSL Certificate.